The first change to the course was made in 1920, when the order in which the holes were played was changed to enable 4 balls to start on the tenth, and this remained until a new clubhouse was opened in 1966. The new clubhouse was positioned to give easy access to three starting and finishing holes, and to be nearer the practice area. Its location near the then seventeenth green meant a re-order of holes and the building of a new par 3 to replace the old seventeenth. Quickly, however, the new 2nd caused problems as those driving on the third had to wait for those putting on the second, so in 1969 a new 2nd was constructed and remains today. This is why there is a ‘spare’ par 3 at Betchworth, a hole that has proved very useful when the present tenth was re-constructed. The most recent change was the introduction of the two nines. In 2001 it was decided, after some considerable debate, to change the order of the holes to allow 2 nines, enabling members to play 9 or 18 holes and also to allow for 27 hole competitions..